Our volunteers are passionate global ambassadors for MMF.
Volunteers work at our project sites as well as in their local areas. From research assistants and teacher trainers to graphic designers and photojournalists, we regularly recruit volunteers for a variety of roles throughout our organization and across the world.
Volunteer positions are normally a minimum of 2 months, but shorter periods will be considered in exceptional cases. If you'd like to become a volunteer, send us your CV and cover letter, as well as what position you'd like to pursue.
Not able to volunteer? There are many other ways to get involved! Fundraise in your local area, become an MMF brand ambassador, or raise awareness by connecting your network to MMF.
Position available: Volunteer Accountant
Working directly with the Head Financial Officer, you will be responsible for the effective management and reporting of all of the financial aspects of our operations in Mozambique.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting
- Minimum 2 years relevant accounting experience
- High proficiency in Excel
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to manage deadlines
- Able to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Business acumen and interest
- Analytical and problem-solving ability
- Experience using Quickbooks is desirable but not essential
- Day-to-day cash management and reconciliation
- Prepare, examine, and analyse accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy and completeness
- Perform monthly accounting activities including reconciliations of cash and bank accounts and reviewing financial reports/support as necessary
- Analyse and report on financial status and cashflow including communicating financial results to management
- Assisting department heads with various tasks, including preparing budgets and donor reports
- Improve systems and procedures and initiate corrective action
- Maintain financial security by following internal controls
- Provide Excel training to Mozambican MMF employees
- Work directly with world class scientists, local teachers and international conservationists
- Be part of an exciting environment with carefully selected people from all over the world
- Assist us in achieving our mission of saving threatened marine life using pioneering research, education and sustainable conservation solutions (see more of what we do at https://marinemegafaunafoundation.org/)
- Accommodation provided. Please note applicants must be comfortable in shared living arrangements with basic amenities. Tofo is a small beach town within a remote provincial area.
- Discounted diving and snorkeling with our local partners
- Travel and experience Africa
- Make a difference!
The project requires you to commit for a minimum amount of 3 months and a trial period will apply. Candidates must also be able to provide their own laptop computers to work on.
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Position available: Research Assistant
One of the main divisions of the Associação Megafauna Marinha / Marine Megafauna Foundation (MMF) is Research. This division works with world-class scientists, assuring quality and innovative breakthroughs in the generation of knowledge and methodologies within the scope of marine megafauna study, as well as high-quality scientific outputs that are internationally recognized and published. It is an honor for any early-career marine scientist to work closely with our senior scientists, whilst not only receiving adequate training, but also contributing to a worthy cause, by being part of the organization’s operations.
MMF does not just provide opportunities for unique experiences in the field, but invests in personal and professional development. We aim to work together with national institutions and people towards the development of science by increasing capacity for research and conservation support, which is strongly data-driven. We therefore strive to align our activities with national Mozambican goals and work together, to turn the vision of a world where humans and marine life thrive together, into reality.
The candidate must:
- Have a qualification to PADI rescue diver level (divemaster preferable) and have at least 50 dives
- Have at least an undergraduate degree; a marine scientific background is preferable, but other related fields will be considered
- Be physically fit
- Be comfortable in shared living arrangements with basic amenities
- Have good communications skills: be proficient in English (Portuguese is a bonus)
The research assistant will:
- Participate in research dives and ocean safaris to collect and record data for MMF’s long-term manta ray and whale shark sightings database
- Upload and match identification photos on whaleshark.org and mantamatcher.org
- Help match and maintain public contributions to whaleshark.org and mantamatcher.org
- Record and maintain data logging in the office, and backed up on hard-copy and online
- Give weekly presentations to the public on manta rays, whale sharks and other relevant topics
- Contribute toward MMF’s social media outputs, including: blogs, Facebook posts, and videos
- Contribute to efforts to influence targeted groups about MMF’s mission
- Assist in training of new research assistants
- Besides routine operations mentioned above, assist with activities and projects linked to the Mozambican Research Fellowship Programme for Mozambican graduates, which may include a variety of interdisciplinary studies (land/shore-based, estuarine, mangrove, rocky shore, and reef monitoring, fisheries assessment, aquaculture, social science etc.)
- Assist the Reef Monitoring Project Manager with data collection, logging, and analysis as needed
- Assist the MMF Conservation and Education departments with projects as needed
- Maintain responsibility for living costs, visas, medical insurance and pay monthly fees
- Report to the Mozambique Research Director and provide assistance for daily tasks and research programs as directed
The research assistant will get to:
- Work with world-class scientists
- Dive in one of the most stunning and diverse parts of the world
- Be part of an international foundation with great local staff
- Contribute to on the ground conservation work
- Receive mentoring, support, and guidance on how to manage projects and publish papers
- Travel throughout Mozambique, work with Mozambicans and learn Mozambican culture
- Make a tangible and positive difference in the World by contributing to Mozambican research capacity development!
Candidates must own and work on their laptop, have their own dive and/or snorkel gear, and commit to a minimum of four months, preferably six.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org - we will review applicants on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only respond to successful applicants. More information will be forwarded on receipt of the application. Good luck!